If you’re familiar with the spicy, salty, Tajin-rimmed goodness that is the Mexican Ashtray, then “salud!” It’s probably time to grab another round. But if you’re new to this savory, beer-based beverage, you’re about to learn how to make one of the easiest, flavor-packed drinks out there—and a solid addition to your home bar menu.
If you’re big on Bloody Marias or Micheladas, you’ll dig this Mexican Ashtray. It’s got a lot of the same ingredients—hot sauce, lime, salt, spices—but it’s about as low effort as you can get.
- 12 oz. can of your favorite Mexican lager. We love a classic Modelo or Tecate.
- Tajin chili lime seasoning. (Pro tip: If you don’t have some already, stock up. It’s good on mango, popcorn, steak, beer… honestly, everything.)
- ½ oz. hot sauce. We like Valentina, but Cholula or Tapatio are great too.
- A couple lime wedges.
- Optional: 1 oz. mezcal for a hint of smoky flavor. 400 Conejos has some award-winning options to choose from.
- Crack open your beer and take a big sip
- Add hot sauce, optional mezcal, and a squeeze of lime (to taste)
- Use your thumb (or a lime wedge) to cover the opening, and gently swirl to mix
- Run the lime around the rim and pop into the opening
- Coat rim with as much Tajin as your tastebuds can handle
Easy, delicious, and super portable. The ingredients don’t take up much space at all, and pack easily into a cooler for beach days, picnics, or your next big taco night. Enjoy!